This Course offers a unique opportunity to learn the role of the Doula whilst immersing yourself in stunning surroundings and indulging your passion, away from the distractions of everyday life.
The Curriculum includes
- Why train as a Doula?
- Reflecting and debriefing of our own Birth stories and exploring our inherent attitudes around Pregnancy, Birth and Mother/Parenthood.
- The role of Doula in a historical light and modern day context.
- What it means to be ‘on call’ and how to prepare, in practical, physical and emotional ways.
- Boundary setting within your Doula Practice.
- Counselling and listening skills; how to ‘read’ non-verbal ques and approach vulnerable subjects.
- An In-depth session on the Stages of Labour including the physiology of birth and the interplay of Hormones within the labouring and birthing process.
- Working with your local healthcare team.
- Birth ‘Plans’: tool of focus or potential for disappointment?
- Pain relief used at home and in hospital.
- Alternative pain relieving methods from cultures and traditions around the world.
- When things don’t go according to ‘plan’.
- Birth preparation methods.
- Birth companionship and how to help; including Active birth positions, Acupressure techniques, massage for labour and birth, use of herbs and homeopathy and breathing ‘techniques’.
- Birth companionship and the Art of Doing Nothing.
- Where do I begin? Ideas for those first Prenatal / Postnatal sessions.
- Postnatal Doulaing…what might we offer? Walking new parents home to their power, rather than ‘teaching’, signposting, feeding support.
- Self nurturing and co-support for us!
- Networking and working with backups.
- How to set up your practice, set fees and attract clients
- All of our courses have a small piece of reflective pre-coursework for you to complete, but not to hand in, just to initiate a reflective practice and then 3 short pieces of post-coursework which are to hand in, but can be completed by voice note, artwork or in writing.
Our Birth and Postnatal Doula Training Courses offer
- An informal, relaxed but rich learning environment, which is emotionally safe, fun and confidential
- ‘Story sharing circles’, weekly, to complement our 2 hour online sessions
- A fully comprehensive folder, with information on many aspects of Doulaing and the childbearing year, references, thought provoking articles and much more
- Full Certification
- Personal tuition and time to address any issues raised, with a one-to-one meeting, upon request
- The opportunity to join Doula UK.
It really was an absolutely fabulous week, giving me so much food for thought and surpassed all my expectations. Like I said to you on the last day I don't remember ever feeling so inspired! The way you enabled us to learn, reflect and gain knowledge was brilliant. Being taught by you in such a safe, warm environment really was a privilege.- Fran.